Tuesday 18 May 2010

Mary, Mary, quite contrary...

I have a list. A pretty long one. A list of everything I want to do in my life. The list includes predictable items like get married, have kids, travel. It also includes a list of things I'd like to learn how to do - row, for example, or things like sewing and photography both of which I've recently taken up. The list hits on the super-serious, such as growing with God, and loving earnestly. But it also includes things that I know *how* to do, and keep on my list of things to do and learn because, well, I want to remember to do them always, always. These are things that centre me, knitting, praying, running, and gardening. Actually, I've written 'grow an enormous and sustaining garden.'

We live on the third floor of an apartment building, not exactly a backyard or garden with endless space to fill with plants and flowers and trees. But it's a start. And this weekend heralded the beginning of the outdoor season! The little seedlings that were carefully planted and watered and loved on the windowsills for the past month were planted out. We're out of the woods for frost and the sun is a-shining on the balcony, so things have been set out and plants are a-growing! 

So how does this Mary's garden grow? With salad leaves and tomatoes and courgettes (zucchini for you North Americans) and lavender and french beans. I'm adding peppers soon. It's a good lesson in economizing space and being inventive and making do with what you've got. It might not be enormous and (fully) sustaining, but I absolutely cannot wait for the first fruits (make that the first vegetables, unless we want to get into the fruit/vegetable debate regarding the tomatoes) of the season!!!!



 
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment